Foot issues and low back pain are often related to one another.
There are many things that can lead to low back pain. Here at Abbott Foot & Ankle Clinic, we have found that the most overlooked of these low back pain causes is foot issues. Additionally, back issues can also cause foot pain. The mechanics involved create a relationship between foot asymmetry and back misalignments. When there are excessive biomechanical forces at work, pain can be referred to many areas throughout your body.
For example, if you have an arch collapse or an excessive pronation, the torque produces an internal rotation that puts added stress on your body, particularly the pelvis, hips, legs, and back. When this is the case, the use of custom orthotics can provide relief from the pain. Force on your heel when walking is also one of the low back pain causes that custom orthotics can help with. Another is a difference in leg length, which puts strain on the low back.
There are several ways to determine if foot issues are one of the low back pain causes you should be concerned about. If you answer yes to any of the following and suffer from low back pain, don’t hesitate to contact us to learn more about how we can help you.
- When you walk, your feet are angled toe-out rather than straight ahead.
- You are over age 40 (nearly everyone has developed foot issues by this age).
- Your shoes are wearing out unevenly.
- You are active in sports or stand or walk several hours a day.
- Your legs are either bowed or knock-kneed.
- You have had an injury to your feet, knees, back or neck in the past.
- You notice specific problems with your feet, including flat feet, corns, or bunions.
- You have one leg that’s shorter than the other.
We want to help you resolve the low back pain causes that are hampering your daily activities or keeping you from doing the things you love. We proudly serve The Blue Mountains, Ontario area and encourage you to call us today to schedule an appointment.
At Abbott Foot & Ankle Clinic, we can help determine low back pain causes for residents of Collingwood, Wasaga Beach, Owen Sound, Stayner, Meaford, Thornbury, Creemore, The Blue Mountains, and surrounding areas in Ontario.